LIBORIO (“BOBBY”) ZAFFIRO and his younger brother John grew up
on Milwaukee’s East Side. Their father was an immigrant from Sicily,
In 1951, Bobby opened the Rock-a-Bye Tap in Milwaukee’s then
predominantly Italian Third Ward district, located at Buffalo & Jackson
Streets. His brother John worked for him.
When many bars and eating establishments in Milwaukee started
serving pizza at that time, Bobby began offering pizza, too.
In 1956, Bobby opened Zaffiro’s Restaurant at 1724 North
Farwell Avenue – its present location. At that time the restaurant
had only a few tables and a service bar.
In 1970, Bobby acquired the barber shop next door to the
restaurant, adding to the establishment a dining room and a
The specialty of the house was Bobby’s thin-crust pizza, which Zaffiro’s is
known for today. The sauce for the pasta dishes was Bobby’s wife Rose’s family’s recipe.
Review: Serious Eats